Orthodontic and Dental Fun Facts
Orthodontic and Dental fun facts from Moshiri Orthodontics!
Did you know?
1. On average, children smile about 400 times per day and women smile about 62 times per day. As for the men, they smile about 8 times per day. Either some men are too serious or maybe they need to hear a good joke.
2. The first orthodontic bracket was not invented until 1915 by Mr. Edward Angle……who also started the first school for orthodontics specialist, like Dr. Farhad and Dr. Mazyar Moshiri, in 1901. Thank you Edward Angle for paving the way so that we can help create beautiful smiles throughout the St. Louis, Lake St. Louis, O’Fallon, Wentzville and Springfield Missouri areas.
3. Toothpaste is only about 100 years old. Before the invention of toothpaste, people used charcoal, honey-tobacco, chalk, ashes or lemon juice. Thank goodness for cinnamon, fresh mint and other delicious flavored toothpastes available. Remember that proper brushing technique, especially for braces and orthodontic appliance patients, is more important than the “kind” of toothpaste you use.
4. On average, each person will spend about 38 days of their lives bringing their teeth. Those are certainly 38 days well spent for a beautiful and healthy smile!
5. Metal orthodontic brackets have been around for quite awhile, however clear brackets didn’t make it onto teeth until the early 1980’s. AND, Invisalign was not created until 1997 and available to patients until May 2000! At Moshiri Orthodontics, patients have a choice between metal or clear brackets and may even be a candidate for Invisalign.
6. Every person has two sets of teeth over the course of their lives. Your baby or “primary” teeth start erupting before your first birthday and all of your adult or “permanent” dentition should erupt between the ages of 21, for those who have their third molars (wisdom teeth). Be sure to properly care for your teeth, especially while in braces, because they are your last set of teeth.
7. According to Glamour Beauty……..when asked if they would rather have perfect teeth, eyesight or hair……44% smiled and said “perfect teeth”.
Keep smiling, keep brushing and keep happy with a healthy mouth! For more information on achieving a beautiful straight smile, visit our website or call us today to schedule your initial consultation.
Moshiri Orthodontics….for a smile that lasts!